Australian Pet Supplies Online Winners & Losers
Just like at the end of an academic year a school awards its top students, we have decided the run the ruler over the online pet industry to see who is worthy of a merit award or who needs to do better next year….
We have based our research on the Top Five competitors in the online pet supplies space, these online pet retailers are in no particular order
- Pet Circle
- Pet Barn
- My Pet Warehouse
- Pet O
- Budget Pet Products
Using a variety of commonly used online research tools we researched and have made a comparison as to how each brand is performing online. Whilst each tool provides a snapshot of the data we cannot guarantee the accuracy of data and there is a variance in the data between different resources.
As such the information below should be used a guide only as none of the brands below are clients of ours and we do not have access to their data. Not that we ever share clients data anyway…
Understanding your competitors market positions and unknown competitors can better help inform strategic planning and spending decisions.
Lets get into it…
How is this site ranked relative to other sites?
Global Traffic Rank
Traffic rank of site as compared as compared to all other sites in the world. The rank is calculated using a combination of average daily visitors to this site and pageviews on this site over the past 3 months. The site with the highest combination of visitors and pageviews is ranked #1.
Country Traffic Rank
Traffic rank of site as compared as compared to all other sites in Australia.
Top of the Class:
How Engaged Are Visitors?
Engagement metrics help you understand how interested a site’s visitors are with the site’s content. The metrics are updated daily based on the past 6 months.
Bounce Rate (%)
Percentage of visits to the site that consist of a single pageview.
Daily Pageviews per Visitor
Estimated daily unique pageviews per visitor on the site.
Daily Time on Site
Estimated daily time on site (mm:ss) per visitor to the site.
No Data Available
How fast does site load?
Given that site speed is considered a factor in SEO ranking we checked the site speed of the various sites.
The reported load time for a website is the median time it takes to load pages from that site in a real users’ web browsers.
This takes the median of all the page load times we observe for a site and then compares that to the same figure for all other sites. For example, a site in the 98th percentile (Very Fast) has a median load time faster than 98% of all measured sites, while a site in the 2nd percentile (Very Slow) loads more quickly than only 2% of all sites and is slower than 97% of all sites.
The load time of an individual page is how long it takes for the DOM – the structure of the page – to be loaded. This time doesn’t include the time to load all images and stylesheets, for example.
The number of keywords bringing users to the website via Google’s top 100 organic search results.
The number of users expected to visit the website in the following month on condition that average monthly organic traffic stays relatively the same.
Estimated price of organic keywords in Google AdWords.
Timeframe: November 2017-November 2018
- 22,100 keywords ranked
- Of these 2126 keywords in the Top 3 positions
- 6474 keywords on page one of Google
- Types of keywords: Product
- Search Traffic: 68.50% Organic 31.50% Paid (Sep 2018 – Nov 2018)
- Domain Authority: 44, spam score 1.
- 35,200 keywords ranked
- Of these 5,165 keywords ranking in the Top 3 positions
- 11851 keywords ranking on page one of Google
- Types of keywords ranked: Branded & products
- Search Traffic: 90.50% Organic 9.50% Paid (Sep 2018 – Nov 2018)
- Domain Authority: 42, spam score 0..
- 8,400 keywords ranked
- Of these 758 keywords in the Top 3 positions
- 2,787 keywords on page one of Google
- Type of keywords: Product
- Search Traffic: 65.82% Organic 34.18% Paid (Sep 2018 – Nov 2018)
- Domain Authority 34, Spam Score 1
- 58,300 keywords ranked
- Of these 5,852 keywords are ranking in the Top 3 positions
- 13,728 keywords ranking on page one of Google
- Type of keywords: branded, product
- Search Traffic: 87.02% Organic 12.98% Paid (Sep 2018 – Nov 2018)
- Domain Authority: 54, spam score 1
- 2,300 keywords ranked
- Of these 32 keywords ranking in the Top 3 positions
- 126 keywords on page one of Google
- Types of keywords: Mostly branded
- Search Traffic: 100% Organic (Sep 2018 – Nov 2018)
- Domain Authority 23, Spam Score 3
Planning The Year Ahead
Who was the pet care audience. Let’s break down the potential audience to ensure that your messaging is aligned accordingly.
Users who visit pet stores online are also interested in these categories
Topics relevant to pet care market, the bigger the keyword the more relevant the topic.
By looking at the top keywords searched allows you to gain insights into the most in-demand keywords and categories around the pet care industry.
You can use these keywords to optimise current campaigns and offers on-site, create email and social media content as well as updating site tags and product descriptions to ensure that you are capturing all associated traffic where possible.
We hope you enjoyed this snapshot analysis of the Australian online petcare sector.
Stay tuned for our next industry report in the New Year.